Rgyal Monastery
It is 2 km off Kargil – Leh national highway near Wakha Village. Wakha Village is near Mulbekh (famous for Buddha statue on Kargil – Leh national highway). It is a tiny monastery maintained by the local villagers.
I visited the Monastery on 8th June 2019 late in the morning; but the Monastery was locked and the key was not available. I was told that the villagers go to the fields for work and hence, key was not available. On the next day morning, I visited the Monastery again early in the morning and a villager volunteered to open the Monastery. I am grateful to my driver Mr. Maqsood Ali [from Kargil] to facilitate the visit.
The Monastery is visible above the residences of villagers:
Existence of a prayer wheel was a sign of nearness to a Buddhist monastery.
The path [to the Monastery] appeared to be mysterious.
In first pic, upper portion of monastery seemed to be jutting out with no support. Unbelievable.
ReplyDeleteThese remote monasteries are mostly locked. I had faced disappointment a number of times in Ladakh. In this case, I could visit it twice as it was near the national highway.
DeleteShergol Monastery was closed when I visited twice. The outside vies is impressive. Please have a look:
Deletehttps://cavemonasteries.blogspot.com/2020/12/shergol-monastery.html